A few nights ago Hubby and I were watching NBC NEWS when they played a segment about young adults taking “Adulting” classes. What is “Adulting”?
Here is the formal definition:
Adulting is the practice of behaving in a way characteristic of a responsible adult, especially the accomplishment of mundane but necessary tasks.wiki
Here is my definition. “Adulting” is when you are grown-up enough to get your teeth cleaned, your laundry done, eat healthy and remember to have your car oil changed without a reminder or money from a parental unit.
This NBC NEWS segment focused on how young adults now are taking CLASSES to learn how to sew, iron, do laundry, make a meal and other tasks that are considered mundane but essential to every day living. (I love adult education, but never thought of “adulting” education!)
Watch the NBC NEWS segment here.
Experts during the interview were discussing how such classes are needed due to school curriculums cutting what use to be “standard courses”. No longer do you see in most schools options to take high school “Home economics”, “Personal Accounting” or “Wood Shop”. They have been replaced by advanced courses in science, math and more. To learn basic skills, the commentator stated that many are signing up for ADULTING CLASSES!
I find it funny that there are so many adults who can solve tough calculus problems or write computer code but do not know how to sort and wash laundry nor sew a button on to a jacket. Their “home- cooked meal” is when Door Dash delivers them something from a local restaurant that is not a sandwich or pizza.
So, if I had to pick a “Top 10” list of what are the ESSENTIALS to know when you are “Adulting” – this would be my list:
- Learn what to do in an emergency – including CPR.
- Learn how to cook and clean up the mess afterwards. A basic cookbook can be your best friend and a money saver!
- Learn how to SAVE money. A rainy day fund is not $50. A rainy day fund should be several months of income in a bank to pay bills in case you are out of work.
- Do the REAL VERSIONS! Learn how to write a REAL letter vs. EMAIL and know the difference. And – READ A REAL BOOK vs. an electronic version!
- How to change a tire, check your oil and pump your own gas. (I “see” you New Jersey folks!)
- How and Why to CARRY CASH! Do not travel without some cash. What if there is an electrical outage and credit cards, Venmo or other electronic currencies cannot be exchanged. Oh my! Take out this “thing” called a wallet and use the green paper bills and silver coins to pay!
- Know when to fold’em. If you like to gamble know your limits. As enticing as Black Jack is – it is not worth losing your car, your home, your family over. This adulting “warning” goes for anything that can be done in excess.
- Learn how to do laundry.
- Learn how to take care of a small child without being distracted.
- Learn how to be polite, even when you don’t like the person you are with.
Now that I read over my list I realize I have some more “adulting” to do!!
Feel free to add to this list in the comment section.
2 thoughts on “Top Ten List for “Adulting””
This list made me chuckle, and made me realize that I didn’t teach the boys how to sew on a button! (I think they did observe that the pile of buttonless shirts must grow to a certain height before Mom is willing to get out the thread and needle!) I think that I’d add “learn how to assemble furniture from IKEA without a temper tantrum,” because, well, we all end up there at some point in our adult lives. Keep on sharing your wisdom, my friend!
Ikea – good one! Also, how to make a braid. And, how about all the knots we were suppose to learn in scouts!